The idea of traveling alone may not appeal to everyone but those who have done this can attest that this is something every traveler should try. A journey to a new place by yourself can be scary, but it is also a good way to rediscover yourself. It gives you the chance to enjoy an unforgettable adventure.
For your first trip, choose the best place to travel alone and avoid places that are challenging and known to be hostile for foreigners. Safety should be a primary concern when traveling alone. Choose a destination that is tourist-friendly and easy to get around with a good transportation system.
Things to Consider When Choosing a Destination
When going on a solo travel and choosing the best place to travel alone consider these factors:
- Safety – This is the first thing to consider when choosing where to go alone on your next adventure. You may want to check the safety rankings of countries and choose one that ranks high on the list.
- Culture – Cultures of the world are diverse but countries with certain beliefs and practices that are akin to your own may seem like the ideal destination especially if you are traveling solo for the first time. Choose countries that rank high on happiness scale. People from these areas are usually friendly and accommodating.
- Budget – Since you will be alone on your trip, you will have no one to split your expenses with unless you meet other like-minded travelers who are willing to share a room or split the cab fare with you. The best place to travel alone is one that is friendly to your pocket. Consider going to countries in Southeast Asia when you are traveling on shoestring budget.
Below is a list of destinations that you may want to consider for that solo trip you have been planning for a long time.
5 Best Destinations for your Solo Trip Abroad
Melbourne and Sydney are cities in Australia that are popular travel destinations for many solo travelers because of the amazing cityscape and pristine beaches. Australia in general is considered a safe country for international travel, making it an ideal destination for solo travelers. It is also an English-speaking country. This eliminates the language barriers and the culture is very similar to the United States. Getting around the city is also easy and there are a lot of transportation options that can take you to your destination.
Thailand is a favorite travel destination in Southeast Asia among backpackers who are traveling alone. Why? People are friendly and there are lot of things to do here – from the bustling nightlife in Bangkok to the amazing beaches in Phuket and other remote islands such as Koh Samui. You won’t ever feel alone because this is a hot-spot for backpackers. You will most likely meet a lot of travelers everywhere you go. The food is amazing and the culture is diverse. Locals are also very friendly. It is also a cheap destination and you can stay and explore the country for weeks without getting broke.
Switzerland is considered one of the top 5 safest destinations in the world for overseas travel, which means that it is another great place to consider for those who are planning to go alone on a trip. Getting around is easy. Do not forget to get a Swiss Rail Pass to give you access to trains, buses and boats.
Switzerland is always on the bucket list of travelers because of the spectacular scenery all throughout the country and the amazing train journeys that will take your breath away. They have an efficient train system that makes traveling from one destination to another easy and ideal for solo travelers. Go see the Alps, head to Lake Geneva to see the magnificent Chillon Castle and visit the museums of Montreux and Lausanne.
Travel to the world’s happiest country and experience real adventure! If you want to experience hiking in the lush forests, surfing on the Pacific Coast or simply chilling on the beach, then this is the place for you. One of the most common concerns of solo travelers especially females when visiting Costa Rica is their safety. Although violent crimes are uncommon, petty thieves are rampant because of the high poverty rate in the country.
Just remember to keep your valuables safe, avoid displaying expensive gadgets like cameras, as this may attract the attention of thieves. In general, Costa Rica offers a lot of exciting adventures even for the solo traveler such as white water rafting, surfing and diving. Most travel agencies have special packages for solo travelers so you can join others who are traveling individually to save on the costs of tours and transportation, as well as lodging and accommodations.
Experience the colorful streets of Vietnam and enjoy the unique culture of the vibrant cities of Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh. If you want to get a feel of Vietnam’s history, go to Ho Chi Minh, also known as Saigon and visit the War Remnants Museum. This will also let you enjoy the nightlife of Vietnam’s largest city.
If you want a more laidback vibe and scenery, head to Hanoi where you can relax in parks, take a boat tour of the picturesque Halong Bay and admire the limestone islands. In general, the food and accommodations in Vietnam are affordable for solo travelers. You will be surprised that you can experience a gastronomic feast and a rich culture without breaking the bank in Vietnam.
Final Tips for Traveling Solo in Any Country
- Sign up before leaving home for the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). This program is designed for U.S. citizens who are going overseas. It serves as a contingency plan for emergencies. This will allow the State Department to assist you in case of unexpected troubles on international territories.
- Leave your contact number, email and a copy of your itinerary to a friend or loved one before leaving and keep in touch to update your present location.
Travel is both exciting and scary but when you discover the best place to travel alone, you will be pleasantly surprised at how easy it can be for anyone to get around, blend with the locals and enjoy the sights and culture of your dream solo destination.